Wednesday 25 November 2015

Nankatai


 Hello everyone.  I know I am back after a very long time.  Though I did put up a post in between, there have been many breaks.  Hope you all missed me, coz I did miss putting up recipes.  So without further ado, I will get to the recipe.  Today, I am putting up a cookie recipe.  I am sure there are many versions of nankatai.   Today am sharing my mom's version of the recipe.  She's been doing it for years.  A recipe she does with perfection and what I like most about the cookie, that it has the right amount of sweetness to it.  We call it "Nankatai", similar to what you could call a cookie or a biscuit.  So here goes the recipe.
Ingredients:


Flour (maida)

390 gms

Chickpea clour (besan)

55 gms

Sugar(powdered)

200 gms

Baking powder

1 1/2 tsp

Vegetable fat (dalda)

260 gms

Vanilla essence

1 tsp

Nutmeg powder

1 tsp

Method:
1.       Sieve together white flour, chickpea flour and baking powder.
2.       Powder sugar along with nutmeg into a fine powder.
3.       Melt the vegetable fat and keep aside.
4.       In a bowl take the sieved flours and add the powdered sugar and mix well. 
5.       Add half the melted fat and knead well. Then add the remaining fat little by little kneading all the time.
6.       Knead this dough well for about 10 minutes.  To know if it is ready, make a ball and press it with the mound of your palm.  There should be no cracks.  That is the sign for it being ready.
7.       Make the balls and press them and lay them on a baking sheet or tray.
8.       Preheat the oven at 160⁰ C for 5-7 minutes.
9.       Once preheated place the tray in the oven and bake them at 160⁰ C for 12-15 minutes.
10.   Once all done store them in an air-tight container.  Stays fresh for over 15 days.  Well that is, if you can stay away from them.  Believe me, they are very addictive.

Notes:
1.       I will update with the cup measurements soon.
2.       Baking time varies from oven to oven, so please do keep checking once 12 minutes are up.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment