Sunday 22 January 2017

Mutter shufta


Today, it’s a very simple recipe with no much time required to be spent in the kitchen to prepare this yummy dish.  Mutter, otherwise known as, green peas here..  It's a Kashmiri main course, as far as I know.  Though of course, I have heard that it is more of a dessert with dry fruits in sugar syrup.  This is a recipe that I had seen in a book and had made about years back.  Browsing through the pantry, I seemed to have all the ingredients that you need to make this green peas gravy.  It made me nostalgic, that I immediately set out to make this wonderful dish.  I seemed to have misplaced the book in which I had written the recipe, so crossing my fingers that it does turn out the way we used to make I started with the recipe.  The result, yum yum.  Turned out exactly the way I wanted it.  Though there could be a slight difference in the measure of ingredients.  Served it here with butter garlic naan.  This was an awesome combo and was a hit.  So, do try this wonderful green peas gravy which makes you feel like having  a great restaurant dish at home.
INGREDIENTS:
Green peas (frozen or fresh)
1/2 cup about 100 gms
Oil
1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp
Yoghurt
1/2 cup
Khoya/ricotta cheese/paneer
1/3 cup
Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp
Red Chilli powder
3/4 tsp to 1 tsp
Garam masala
3/4 tsp
Kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves or powder
1 tsp
Salt
1/2 tsp or As needed
Coriander leaves
A little to garnish

METHOD:
1.       Wash the peas and boil them for 10 minutes.  Crumble the khoya (reduced milk), cheese or paneer and keep aside.  Also, whisk the curds and set aside.
2.       In a kadai/wok heat oil and add cumin seeds.  Once they splutter add the crumbled khoya, cheese or paneer (whatever you are using) and the curds and stir it on a low flame so that it does not curdle. 
3.       Once you see small bubbles at the sides of the wok add in the turmeric powder, chilli powder and mix well.
4.       Add the peas and salt and stir well to combine.  Raise the flame to medium and bring it to a boil, adding 1/4 cup/50 ml of water.  This should take about 10 minutes.
5.       Add in the garam masala and let it simmer on low flame for another 5 minutes.
6.       Lastly add in the kasuri methi by crushing them in between your palms and switch off the flame.
7.       Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.  Enjoy it pulav, roti's or naan, choice is yours.

NOTES:
1.       This dish is usually prepared with khoya (reduced milk), I have used khoya in the recipe that I made.  But, if you are not able to get khoya you could make it with paneer or cheese.  Am sure it turns out well.  Though I haven't tried it with the other two.  Just see to it, that the cheese or paneer are fresh.
2.       The recipe that I have given serves 2-3 people.
3.       Do not miss out the fenugreek in the recipe as that gives this dish a wonderful taste that you would look for.
4.       Pl add the chilli powder and salt as per your taste.

2 comments: