Saturday 2 January 2016

Citrus cake (in pressure cooker)

First off, A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU.  Hoping you all had a great time ushering in the new year.  I did want to post this on the 1st itself, hmm, what can I say.  Everything but the typing bit was ready.  Believe me, I had been so caught up that I couldn't devote my time to writing the post.  So to begin the year on a sweet note, I have put up a wonderful, moist and super soft citrus cake and paired it with vanilla ice-cream and strawberry compote.  Not only did I want to try an eggless version of this otherwise egg cake but also wanted to try it in a pressure cooker.  I was always sceptical using a cooker to bake the cake as I would think that the cooker would be burnt and I would have a whole lotta cleaning up to do.  But I happened to realise that if one can put sand and bake why not try with salt.  So finally put salt in the cooker and baked this wonderful cake.  So after trying out the recipe a few times I settled to this one finally.  Whoa!!! Do I want to eat a cake soon again, nah!! On second thought thou, I wouldn’t mind as it's not very sweet and also for cake lovers, it's a little addictive.  Thou, I must say too many sweets in the last few days and so a conscious effort to stay away from anything sweet.  Oops, sorry I took a detour from the recipe bit.  So this is how I worked on the recipe.

INGREDIENTS:
Flour
1 1/4 cup
Cornflour
1/4 cup
Orange juice
1 cup
Lemon juice
2 tbsp
Orange and lemon rind
11/2  tsp each
Oil (Odourless)
4 tbsp
Sugar
1/2 cup
Baking powder
1 tsp
Baking soda
1/2 tsp
Salt
1/2 tsp

METHOD:
1.       Take out the juice of 2-3 oranges and keep aside.(If using fresh oranges).
2.       Sieve together flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3.       In a mixing bowl pour in the orange juice, lemon juice, and sugar and mix well with a whisk till the sugar dissolves completely.
4.       Add the oil and mix well again to incorporate it.
5.       Slowly add in the sieved flour mixture and beating slowly in one direction and blend it well so as to get a smooth cake batter. (The cake batter should have a ribbon like consistency)
6.       Grease a cake tin and keep the pressure cooker on low flame with a cup of salt and let it heat for 5 minutes.
7.       Pour the cake batter in the tin and keep the tin in the pressure cooker taking care not to let the sides of the cake tin touch the cooker.
8.       Close the pressure cooker with the cooker lid without the whistle.
9.       Bake this on low flame for 25-30 minutes or till done.  (You should have a clean skewer when inserted in the cake).
10.   Alternately this cake can be baked in an oven at 180⁰C.  Pre-heat the oven for 5 minutes at 180⁰C and bake the cake for 25 minutes or until done.
11.   Once done remove the cake from the cooker/oven and let it cool.
12.   Un-mould the cake and serve as you like.  I have served it with vanilla ice-cream and strawberry compote.  Enjoy..

NOTES:
1.       I got a 1 cup of orange juice from 2 medium sized oranges. 
2.       Adjust the sugar according to your taste and the sweetness of the orange juice.  If you like your cakes a tad bit sweeter, pl feel free to add more sugar.
3.       1/2 cup is just about right. 
4.       I have used canola oil.  You could use rice bran or sunflower oil too.

P.S. would love to hear your comments.  So do keep them coming.


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely delicious!! Made it for a party and everyone just loved it... Perfect recipe..

    ReplyDelete